Friday, September 20, 2013

Clean as a Hound's Tooth

     Madeleine's breath smells like a shrimp boat, so her mommy paid $175.00 she didn't have to have her teeth non-anesthetically cleaned by our wonderful vet this week. As soon as she realized that her walk had been extended for macabre purposes as we entered the office, she was shaking like a leaf and didn't even want to acknowledge the office Shih-Tzu, Pom Pom. But several hours later she was returned to me with a mouth full of white Chiclets and breath that didn't turn anyone to stone for once as she proudly pranced back to our building. She was abducted by my dad yesterday since I am attending SB's Bachelorette weekend today through Sunday, and my mom has already sent me a picture message zoomed in on Madeleine's telltale mustache with the caption, "Mom I think we need to have Dr. Kelly [our plastic surgeon] take care of this mustache. It's embarrassing." Sometimes, Madeleine returns from Camp Grandma looking like a patchwork quilt since my mother, Edward Scissorhands, gets a little scissor happy with the grooming. Hopefully Mads will survive the weekend and not ingest too many lizards or sneak off into the dining room and delightfully leave little turds on the thousand dollar rug, as she is wont to do.
   Yesterday, I attended NamasDay at the Epic hotel. It's a free event to celebrate yoga and the beauty of humanity in the world. I admit, I do not buy into the spiritual chakra hocus pocus of yoga, which is why I generally prefer Pilates, but this shit was free and I even got a free Kind bar out of it. Anyone who has ever bought a Kind bar knows that a box is worth more than your life, so this was a big deal for me and I carried it home defensively swathed in my LuluLemon yogabag ready to Heisman anyone who got near it. I downward dogged next to my friend PV, who is a major fitness disciple and is a secret sadist who likes to casually invite me to exercise events she leads me to believe are innocuous and they end up being so strenuous that I almost vomit/pass out afterwards and am taunted by the instructors. But I went to this event last year and I knew I was only in for some ohms and vigorous stretching so I agreed. It was truly uplifting and inspiring to be practicing yoga poolside on the 16th floor of the Epic hotel overlooking Biscayne Bay and the Miami skyline. It was during moments like those that I appreciated Miami for its elements and its grace as I bowed in reverent child's pose. Moments of SILENCE in Miami are rare. Soon after yoga, I athletic-walked (that means that I was wearing sneakers and spandex so it means I was basically Usein Bolt) to OTC to meet IK and friends. We witnessed a spicy Latina's car get nudged by a parallel parker in front of her and she chased him down the street in her stilettos with a legal pad.

Yesterday I felt at peace. Today, I feel arthritic and sore from the repeated plank positions but at least as I tucked myself into bed with a slice of homemade pumpkin pie from AT, I knew I was blessed with a good life.

Happily Ever After,
Mon and Mads

No comments:

Post a Comment